There is nothing quite like New York City on New Year’s Eve. All the people, the excitement, and the confetti! Of course, you don’t have to be in New York City to ring in 2022, as the festivities are broadcast for TV and internet audiences. However, whether you’re in the city or miles away, there are some fascinating things to learn about this New York holiday tradition. Read on for some interesting facts about New Year’s Eve in NYC!
- How long ago did New Year’s Eve festivities begin? The earliest recorded celebrations in honor of a new year’s arrival date back some 4,000 years to ancient Babylon.
- The first New Year’s Eve ball drop celebration was celebrated atop One Times Square, ringing in 1907.
- The first New Year’s Eve Ball weighed 700 pounds, had 100 light bulbs, and was iron and wood. Today, the ball is 12 feet in diameter and weighs in at a whopping 11,875 pounds.
- Wondering just how much confetti is used on New Year’s Eve in Times Square? More than 1 ton of confetti is released.
- So who cleans up that colossal mess afterward? Hundreds of NYC’s Sanitation workers, aka New York’s Strongest, will be equipped with mechanical brooms, backpack blowers, collection trucks, and old-fashioned hand brooms. Generally, the clean-up takes anywhere from 12-16 hours.
- How did New Year Resolutions begin? New year resolutions date back to the Babylonians, who reportedly made promises to the gods in the hope that they would receive good favor in the coming year.
A Year of New Celebrations with Skyline
We wish you and your family a very happy and safe new year here at Skyline Cruises. We sincerely hope we see you and your loved ones aboard the Skyline Princess this year. We are here to help make it an evening to remember no matter the occasion! From birthdays to weddings to corporate events and more, our experienced event planners are ready to work with you to bring your unique vision to life!
We would also love for you to join us on our public lunch cruises and dinner cruises, where there is plenty of opportunity for fun for all ages! To reserve your dinner cruise tickets or book a private charter, be sure to speak with a representative at Skyline Cruises by calling (718) 446-1100.