History of Flushing Bay
Flushing Bay is located on the south side of the East River.
Flushing Bay was home to the Matinecock tribe of Native Americans. The bay was a vital source of food for the Matinecocks and for early European settlers. After the Civil War, the waterfront become home to waterfront resorts for the wealthy at the time because of it’s location and it’s beauty.
Laguardia Airport was open for business in 1939. This had significate impact on Flushing Bay because of it’s shoreline alterations. It cost New York City $23 million dollars to convert the previous North Beach Airport into 550 acre modern facility.